Beginners Guide: IFM Terminology
To better help readers understand the terminology used to describe IFM, take a look at our helpful guide
Terminology and Acronyms of IFM
- Intentional Firearm Microstamping (IFM): When the internal pin or breech of a gun is laser imprinted with a code linked to the gun itself. Upon firing, this code is stamped onto the cartridges of the gun for forensic purposes.
- Heuristics: Heuristics algorithm explains how, even when a code is skewed, our brains are still able to process the letters and numbers.
- NIBIN (National Integrated Ballistic Information Network): This is a system used to examine unintentional ballistic markings left on cartridges in the hope of matching a gun to multiple crimes.
- Lizotte-Ohar Partial Microstamp Code Extraction Method: Developed to extract as much information as possible from Intentional Firearm Microstamping, no matter the resulting impression imperfections subject to the gun’s violent multivariate environment.
- Straw Purchasing: Traffickers who employ people with clean backgrounds to make gun purchases to supply firearms into criminal networks.
- COMPSTAT: A system used to triangulate and pinpoint trafficking hotspots through the utilization of past identified criminal areas.
- Unintentional Firearm Microstamping (UFM): Markings from the internal portions of a firearm when fired leave unintentional ballistic markings and striations on a cartridge. Law enforcement, in the past, has used these unintentional markings to connect cartridges to firearms from crime scenes.
- EBIS: Enhanced Barrel Identification System
ATF: Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives
- AFTE: The Association of Firearm and Tool Mark
ISACS: International Small Arms Control Standards
ITI: International Tracing Instrument
NRA: National Rifle Association
- FBI: Federal Bureau of Investigation
CAAT: Campaign Against the Arms Trade
- NFA: National Firearms Act
NCIC: National Crime Information Center
- ISACS: International Small Arms Control Standards
FFL: Federal Firearms License
- IAFIS: Integrated Automated Fingerprint Identification System